Submitted: 07-30-2013 by sbarbian

The Maui is a good solid kayak. One of my favorite kayaks is my Hobie Pursuit, and I had an opportunity to paddle a friend's Maui. My initial impression of the Maui is that it was very similar to my Pursuit, only shorter, wider, and a little heavier. The extra width and weight made the kayak more stable than the Pursuit (which many reviews complained about), but it also reduced the speed of the kayak. But it seems that most people tend to prefer the stability to the slight loss of speed.

The Maui also has a great stern cargo area. We were doing field research, collecting crabs, and were able to fit all of our gear and have access to it while sitting. (plastic milk crates work well for organizing gear.) The hull shape of the Maui lends itself to some hull slap it the water is anything but a mirror surface.

I should also note that the Maui I paddled was old, had been used and abused, and took on water. So I imagine that the excess water weight I carried in the hull didn't help the perceived slowness of the kayak.

All in all, the Hobie is a good solid kayak I would recommend it those looking to get into the sport of kayaking.

Katadyn: