Submitted: 07-30-2013 by j_tuc
I recently went to Savannah on vacation. While there I went on a 3 hour tour of the Skidaway narrows, with a local outfitter, Savannah Canoe and kayak. I paddled the Looksha IV. When we first left the launch site I had the rudder up, because I didn't think I would need it. The guide noticed that it was up and asked if I wanted him to help me lower it. I told him I really was OK with it up. This was my very first time to paddle a touring kayak. All of my previous experience has been in recreational boats. I felt that the boat was fairly stable. When in the protected waters of the marsh, it tracked well, and was fairly easy to turn. When we got out into the more open waters of the intercoastal waterway, the wind would blow the stern and force the bow to turn into the wind. I deployed the rudder, and this helped a lot. I am 6'4", and I think that this boat is a little small for a paddler my size.