Submitted: 07-29-2013 by BS

Buying a kayak is a lot like buying a car. There are a lot of things to consider. I wasn't planning to cruise around in it all day. The kayak I have is a Wilderness Systems, Pamlico 100. It is only 10' long, but I had to consider size due to transport. It fits good in my truck.

I choose the Pamlico so I could fish out of it without being cramped. There has to be enough room to stow the tackle, anchor, and bait if carried. It fit the bill after I looked under the hood. The seat has to be comfortable, since I like to stay out all day. It is not like a car seat, but it is somewhat comfortable. I made sure there was room to put accessories on, like fish locator, rod holder, rubber paddle holders, anchor and rope tie on's. There is enough room in the back for lunch bag and battery box.

It isn't easy twisting half my body around to open the hatch, but somehow I do. Lucky the hatch cover has a tie down. I looked for a sporty outdoor color and got army green. It goes well with the murky water I fish in. The yak is made of tough poly so it takes rock landings well that scar the bottom.

The yak is tough, stylish and works well for fishing. I have fished out of this yak for 10 years and never complain. Who would listen anyway? A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office. My yak gets good gas mileage and the wife doesn't fit in it. Only kidding. I take her picture.