Submitted: 07-29-2013 by phildarkside
I bought this kayak on the advice of a friend who used to sell kayaks. I am a larger paddler 230 pounds so I needed something that could carry my weight plus the weight of a week's worth of gear. This is the boat! It packs plenty of space for gear and fits me fine (maybe even a bit too big, but very easy to get in and out). This boat seems to wake up in choppy waters and really excels in open water, it is also at home on a long river trip.
    Pros:
  • Good amount of Cargo Space
  • Stable, tracks well and turns easily enough for a 17 footer if you know how to lean right.
  • Rudder allows you to track across currents or wind with relative ease.
    I prefer a rudder to a skeg because a skeg box takes up precious cargo space in the rear if you have one.

Cons:

• This is not a light boat, it is pretty heavy but that is to be expected with a rotomolded boat.
  • Does not turn on a dime (although what 17ft kayak does?)

I did notice the hull bowing in when I transported this boat on my saddles so I switched to a J rack type of roof carrier.

Over all I love this boat and will use it at least until I can afford a lighter fiberglass model. I love Current Designs boats though, and really enjoy touring in this boat. The seat keeps me comfortable for hours and I like the adjustable foot pegs with separate rudder controls at the toes.

I give it an 8 out of 10, would give it a 10 if it were 15 pounds lighter.

New York Kayak Co.: