Submitted: 07-29-2013 by marlin

I bought a Old Town 17' Penobscot at Gander Mountain on sale a few years ago because I wanted a royalex canoe to use around home. Over the years we have used this canoe for many things ranging from family trips, fishing and a few white water races.

It is a nice blend of of size 17'1" and weight 65lbs. being able to carry a lot of gear and not being overly heavy. So far the royalex hull has held up well to the beating that it gets from the shallow water that I sometimes use it in. It has a almost 34" hull at the waterline and has a shallow arch bottom which help it glide a long quite nice, but still is very stable.

For an all around canoe this is a great choice. The only thing that I have changed in my canoe is that I have slanted the seats a little to help for when I use it in the white water race that I do once a year.