Submitted: 03-31-1999 by BC

When I was looking for a kayak I wanted one that I could use in tough conditions and a kayak that would withstand the rigors of an expedition. I chose the Magellan for many reasons. The first thing I liked about the Magellan was it's seaworthy hull design. It looks ready for big waves and winds. The recessed deck lines are excellent for rescue maneuvers. There is plenty of room inside the hatches for lots of gear and the hatch covers themselves are made of rubber to make a tight waterproof seal. This type of hatch cover makes putting them on with cold hands much more enjoyable than the other hard covers with neoprene seals. The Magellan has a great balance between stability and the ability to have controlled leans. This kayak also turns with ease,even better than boats smaller than it. This is nice for rivers and for making corrections in wind and current. Overall I would recommend this as an excellent sea kayak that can handle anything that you can handle and in most instances more!