Submitted: 07-27-2013 by RDR

Wanted to try kayaking but was concerned as I was @320lbs. Found this site and checked out reviews of tandems available to rent. So my nine year old daughter and I climbed into a 14.5 Prodigy II and began to paddle.

Wow...heck of a lot easier than a canoe! My seat was comfortable and the cockpit more than wide enough for my 6'2" frame. At this leg space was ample between mine and the front seat. First time kayakers....we soon fell into a nice rhythm.

The yak is lower to the than a canoe and at no time did we take water over the side or rock too far side to side in the wakes of the tour boats (no wake area on Chicago River). Stability was great and tracked nicely once we got in sync with our paddling stroke. Eventually my nine year old got tired and we stowed her paddle.

I solo paddled the 1.5 miles back to the launch in this tandem...and enjoyed doing it the whole way. The extra length of the boat and weight up front and this continued to track better than the solos I was seeing waddle around in the river.

I recommend this yak to anyone with a family...especially small kids that may not paddle for the whole outing. As for my size...not squeezing into something that was too small for me was way cool. I've lost 40 lbs since that first outing last year and tried other yaks. I won't hesitate to buy this model when the right price comes along.