Submitted: 07-27-2013 by Spencer Jones

I did hours upon hours of research for my new kayak. I wanted one that I can sit in comfortably for hours and possibly stand up and fish in. Oh, and it needed dry storage. The Jackson Cuda does not disappoint. At the moment I have put in over 40 hours in the kayak and only having it for 3 weeks. I have paddles creeks, rivers, very large lakes, large lakes, and small lakes along with ponds in it.

I am very happy with the durability and structure of the Cuda. It is strong plastic and I am not worried about damaging it at all. It tracks straight and turns very well for a boat it size. I have no worries about taking it on rapids. The hull storage is amazing. Lots of storage that you can access in the front, back, or center. Although I do find it it a little tricky getting my poles in with the round hatches, I think the Cuda 14 would not have this issue at all. The Hi/Lo chair is amazing. I used to have pains after sitting down for a couple hours, but no more. Every now and then it feels good to stretch but no pain like before! I find that I prefer the high position for comfort. On top of all of that it comes with three rod holders and 3 RAM ball mounts. Two right behind the seat and one that you can screw in front. The rocket style holders work great for my long and short butted rods. I found that I do not use the rod holder in the front at all and will be putting an arm for my fish finder. I will also be adding an anchor trolley.

A couple things that I knew about before purchasing but wish was better was the off center carrying handles. When two people are lifting it via the handles it leans to one side. Not awful, but can be a pain when you have gear on it. Also, they advertise that it is so stable you can stand up right away, this I don't think is true. You CAN stand, but it just takes a little practice and time. After putting in many hours on the water and slowly practicing every time I was out I can now stand and fish without any problem. It probably took me 5-6 times in all to practice before I felt relatively comfortable standing and fishing. The last thing that I found is the open storage in the back. I like to have a crate, some folks just have their gear in the easy accessible center hatch. But you need a special size crate because there are two tackle box storage lifts that make the crate off center. Other than those couple small things this kayak is fantastic!

The Jackson Cuda is easy to paddle, comfortable, and is a very versatile kayak!

Cache Lake Camping Foods: