Submitted: 07-27-2013 by YakinHick

The Dirigo 120 is a great kayak. (I owned the older model with the silver-looking foam seat and often kick myself for selling it.) The rigidity of the three-layer plastic was unmatched by anything I have paddled other than a royalex canoe. Even the cockpit rim was firm enough to use as a handle when loading and to brace against when exiting the kayak.

The kayak was very stable, handled well, and gave me peace of mind when I found myself in nasty, churning, wind and boat-wake conditions. At 12 feet, the kayak made navigating stumps and swampy areas easy. The seat was comfortable for hours of fishing or paddling and my model had knobs on the side for easy seat adjustment. The cockpit was bigger than some sit-inside kayaks, so I had some wiggle room! A small waterproof hatch with a screw-on lid was a really nice feature. The rear latching hatch provided a nice dry seal for storage.

My only complaint with the Dirigo 120 was that my "wingspread" forced me to make shorter paddling strokes due to the short length of the kayak. A Dirigo 140 might have fixed that for me...