Submitted: 11-06-2000 by Ben O'Hara

I have recently finished spending the last five months living out of one of these canoes. (actually the 17'10" Northwind, same boat only longer) Our two Langford canoes carried us from North central Saskatchewan to Ottawa, a distance of 4,500 kilometers in the most diverse of paddling conditions. At the beginning of our voyage we were on small isolated rivers that flowed into the Churchill System. These rivers required a lot of dragging and shooting of rapids. I was worried at first of how these canoes would hold up, how would 10 hour days of dragging over rocks and dead fall have on these fully loaded boats? Scratches and chips in the gell coat were all that occured, they made it through the more demanding test with flying colours! As for how the aysemetrical design held up, Some conditions awesome, some not. On flat water it flew, turned well and held our big load. While on choppy days on Lake Winnipeg and Superior we had a more difficult time, if not for our spray decks w! e would have had a tough time keeping water out. Langford's canoes surpassed their "cottage only" stigma with me, we put these canoes to the test and they came out shinning. See also our review on Langford's Prospector mould. - Ben O'Hara, Boreal 2000 - www.cpaws.org/boreal2000