Submitted: 07-26-2013 by jackt110
Background/Perspective: 54yr old guy, 5'10, 145lbs, I've paddled a Cobra Explorer SOT for 12+ years mostly in the ocean and sometimes on flat bay or river. I'm also a sculler (flat water) and fit. Got the Disco in late May 2013 and have paddled it about 8 times so far. Using a PowerFlex blade that I had used with the Explorer (fixed feather), and a seat with a back.

Pros: For me, I agree with most positive points in other reviews. The Disco is 5 inches narrower and ~3ft longer than the Explorer, and seems much faster and efficient, though I've not done any formal timing. Tracking is pretty good, and better than the Explorer. Zero hull slap noise in choppy water. Glides far when coasting. Punches thru moderate breakers easily(whereas the Explorer tended to usually ride up and over moderate breakers). No problems with stability in ocean chop (multi-direction swells). Handles well in the wind (not much weathercocking). Not much water enters scuppers when still (as I'm light), and it drains out quickly once moving. Most of my paddling is in ocean in warm weather so I get wet going thru breakers starting out and the little bit of water that stays in the seat area doesn't bother me. Fit/Comfort are very good for me (comfortable foot placement with slightly bent knee, and the seat well and my seat both suit me).

Cons: Its tippier than the Explorer, though I'm still getting used to it. I'm starting to experiment with thigh straps and they seem to help. Doesn't turn as readily as the Explorer, though once I get better with the thigh straps I'll be able to lean more and get better rotation. Deck cord is not elastic and is tight to the deck, so can't secure paddle blade beneath it (using a bungee until I get a chance to replace the cord with elastic material).

Overall: I like it a lot and look forward to getting more proficient with it.