Submitted: 07-26-2013 by kwhale

I have owned and paddled a Tripper 172 for over 25 years. It is big and not the fastest, but it will carry a big load and still get you there dry. I regularly solo it and if the load is balanced out, it is no problem. I always wind up carrying everyone's extra gear and it only helps the Tripper perform better. It will turn on a dime loaded or empty, but does track better loaded down. With the high stems it will weathervane if you don't keep it into the wind. With the rocker and fullness in the bow and stern it handles whitewater very well.

It is one tough boat that will carry a big load though most anything you put it through without a problem, it is very forgiving, you can't beat it for a river expedition boat. I have lighter and faster boats, but if the river is rocky and challenging this is my ride.