Submitted: 07-26-2013 by Kiley V

I got the bug for kayaking on vacation in Hawaii last year, when my husband and I rented boats and got to paddle around in the shallow for a few hours. I've actually been drawn to try the sport for a while, and last summer, I earnestly researched what I should be looking for in a beginner's recreational kayak. So when I was shopping at Costco in February this year and saw the features on the Equinox 10.4 for the price, I was sold - even though in Colorado, we have no paddle-able water in February!

Finally, our local bodies of water thawed out in May, and I headed out on Mother's Day for a few hours on Cherry Creek Reservoir. I instantly felt comfortable in my new boat and found it to be very stable and easy to maneuver. I have since taken it on several mountain lakes in both windy and calm conditions, and it's a great beginner's kayak with adjustable footrests, a huge water-resistant cargo area, top deck rigging and handy holders for gear, snacks and a water bottle. My kids have tried it and my husband has fished from it. It's comfortable and easy to paddle for hours.

At over 60 pounds, it's a little too heavy for me to lift myself, but I bought a portage cart for more independence. It's a little unwieldy for long distances from car to water, and I need my husband's help for loading it on our Durango's roof rack. Other than that, I love it and look forward to many more hours on Colorado's lakes. I hope to hit them all!