Submitted: 07-25-2013 by TwoS!

We just purchased a used Grumman 17 ft canoe. The reason I selected an aluminium canoe is because I want to be able to leave it lying around the shore rather than worry about UV damage. We are first time canoers and our lake is very calm, except for wake from motor boats. My two boys, aged 6 and 9, are now very comfortable going out with me in this canoe. It is solid and feels safe. When there is a strong wake, I turn towards the wake and when it rolls under the canoe, it makes a "dong, dong, dong" sound which used to scare my younger son. Now that he is used to it, he doesn't mind it. I feel very comfortable taking my two boys with me in this canoe. Sometimes my husband comes along, he is a big guy, over 230 pounds, but we all still feel very safe.

We recently received a 14 foot inflatable boat as a gift. The boys like to play at canoeing by themselves in the shallow part of the lake. They have both categorically decided that the Grumman is way easier to steer, goes faster, feels safer and is very easy to care for. I think I may need to keep an eye out for another one of these so that they don't fight over it as they get older.
Best purchase decision ever!