Submitted: 07-25-2013 by Bill Bires

My wife and I are older, both over 60 and when younger did our share of white water but at this age we switched to touring. We own two Necky Looksha sport kayaks with foot peddle steering. Even at our advancing age we can spend a full day on the water thanks to foot peddle steering. Just a light grip on the paddle and only one light stroke and our foot controlled rudder and away we go. With two dry storage boxes and ample tie downs for dry bags we can spend a week camping with a tent and air mattress and all the provisions we need and still have extra room for a few bottles of wine.

With the secondary chine the kayak is very stable and can turn on a dime. We have had these kayaks for quite a few years and with a quick wash down they look as good as when we purchased them. They are light weight and even at our age are easy to carry. We like to kayak in the Sierras and can hit five lakes and a small river in a week thats a lot of kayaking at any age. They are so easy to use we let our fellow campers try them for a few hours and have had many converts to the pleasure of kayaking.

My only complaint is the seat on ours could be more comfortable for the long haul. The seats in the new Neckys looks so much more comfortable that we may have to upgrade to the newer model soon.

The wilderness areas and wildlife we have been privileged to see and the freedom kayaking gives us means that kayaking is our sport for life. Kayaking helps keep us young or at least young at heart. If out on a river, a lake or the sea kayaking is the number one sport for me.
We are, to say the least, happy campers.