Submitted: 07-25-2013 by Gregg

I bought the Phoenix with fishing in mind. It is very stable, and comfortable enough to spend hours on the water. I added a high back/padded after market seat (recommended). The hatch will fit small dry bags, and the rear cargo area holds plenty of gear. On a recent trip I carried a tent, sleeping bag, clothes, and food for several days back there and the boat remained stable. This boat weighs about 40lbs, much lighter than many SOT kayaks designed for fishing.

The only criticism I have is about the scupper holes. They are large and water rushes up through the front scupper when I paddle. I can plug the hole with a Ocean Kayak large scupper plug, but then paddle drips do not drain out. As a result, I frequently find myself plugging the hole to move, then unplugging it to drain. As a result of water I am reluctant to use it in cold weather.

The Hurricane Phoenix is recommended for paddling or fishing in warm water/warm weather circumstances or when weight of the kayak is a consideration.

Point 65: