Submitted: 07-24-2013 by brownmattei

Several years ago we bought a Skylark for my wife to use on the lakes and smooth stretches of the Deschutes River around Bend. We noticed that they were being used by a lot of women and figured it would be the right size for her (105 lbs.). She loved it, and later we bought a second one to use as a "loaner" for friends and visitors. Lately I've been using the second one for local outings because it's small, light, and can go on and off the car easily in a crowded parking lot. I was initially worried that I would be too heavy for it (170 lbs.), but discovered that it wasn't the case. I love the dry land portability, but even more the maneuverability, stability, and general sportiness of it. Yes, it's pretty short and reaches top speed quickly, but it glides well accelerates easily, turns on a dime, and is roomy enough for my 6 ft. frame and day equipment (read: food). As far as construction, material and craftsmanship are second to none. Oh, it's also the best looking small kayak out there. For small lakes and tame rivers you can't find a better boat. I'd rate it a 10 but I figure that nothing's perfect, although I can't think of anything I'd change on it (except maybe adding a cupholder).