Submitted: 07-24-2013 by Golfwheels

I've owned this kayak for about 3 months now and had it out in local rivers and Lake Michigan several times. First, I'd like to thank previous reviewers for providing solid comments about this kayak; they were all very helpful.

I own the fiberglass version of it and having previously owned a plastic sea kayak, I cannot recommend more highly that if you're serious about getting into kayak touring, save for a fiberglass boat. This boat handles like a dream and I love the skeg as opposed to the rudder on my previous boat.

The size is perfect for me being 6'2" tall and 195 lbs. the braces are comfortable and provide a degree of stability and comfort my plastic boat couldn't touch. I've made a couple trips out into Lake Michigan in heavy crosswinds and 3-4' waves and with the skeg down, this boat holds a line without any problem. After an hour in my previous kayak, I wanted to beach it and stretch while 3- 4 hours later I'm still comfortable in the Assateague. The hatches are water tight and I have yet to find water in any of the 3 after doing rolls and practicing self rescue. I also appreciate the 3rd small compartment behind me that makes storage of items nearby a breeze. The foot braces extended out long enough for my 34" inseam and I never feel cramped in this boat.

Overall a solid boat that I expect to get years of use out of.