Submitted: 07-24-2013 by Robert Ian

I purchased a kevlar Nimbus Telkwa Sport touring sea kayak in 2006. I made my selection after demonstrating varied other kayaks. The appeal is the light weight of approximately 45 lbs., the 18.25 foot length, a tighter fitting cockpit and more narrow hull, and its resultant agility and speed on the water. The initial stability is good but learning the tipping point of secondary stability takes time.

The Telkwa is extremely maneuverable and as a result, I seldom use my rudder. This sleek boat has taken me on overnight excursions, into large ocean swells and headfirst into 25mph winds - it is fast, stable and a head turner. Each year I marine wax the boat and its condition remains near pristine. The only downside is the minor chips to the gel coat on the hull as a result of paddles to rock gardens and landings on rocky shores.

Often overlooked in favor of more familiar kayak brands, Nimbus is in a class of its own - the Telkwa Sport rocks!