Submitted: 10-26-2000 by dkeadle

My wife, 51, 5'-4", 115# is a first-time kayaker, and loves her Castine! She is not normally a water person (grew up in El Paso) and previous experiences in canoes didn't help - although we always survived without injuries....luckily. I tried out a kayak for the first time on a Tuesday and really enjoyed it, talked about it with my wife, tried to rent one with no luck, and that Saturday we purchased two. The first time in the water she just took off - so smooth and stable - and such a big smile! We live near a good size non-power boat lake that she now feels a part of. That Saturday night we even were out under the full moon. I couldn't keep up with her, and eventually ended up with a Nantucket, and now we match both in performance and color. I have never seen her so excited. The store, Appomattox River Co., did a great job in recomending the Castine for her. But why only a "9" - nothing is perfect, but maybe the fiberglass Castine would be a "10".