Submitted: 07-23-2013 by DWMVT

I have had a royalex Explorer since 1978. I rate it a 10, even though I replaced the ash rails twice before I threw in the towel and had vinyl rails installed. Except for the wood, it is bulletproof. It is stable, carries a big load, truly an all purpose canoe.

Oil-canning is a bit of a problem when paddling empty in swells, but a stick wedged under the center thwart cures it. The only real gripe I have is the weight. At age 62, I'm about to change to a Kevlar boat, just to make life a bit easier on the carries.

One last thing - somewhere along the line, MRC decided to make the seats an inch or two narrower (bow to stern), so when the time came to replace the caned seats, I could not just buy off the shelf replacement seats without re-drilling the rails. The original seat wood was still good, so I ended up re-seating with nylon webbing.

All in all, a great boat I will be sad to part ways with it (although I won't be sad on the portage trail).