Submitted: 07-22-2013 by wolfmanrobby
Now, Pelican has a bad reputation. Over the last few years the boats they've put out have been more akin to barges than kayaks. However, I've heard they have undergone some management and design team changes. The Icon line is supposed to be the first from their new line. I can tell you, it's not the slow, hard to control, tipsy boat they have a history of putting out.

Here's my thoughts after one ride:

• The boat rode great and stable. I do sit a bit higher than in the inflatable, so it took me a while to get used to it.
  • The tracking was great and I really don't see that I would ever need to put a rudder on itů but, there is a place to mount one on the stern if you want.
  • The paddle holder is behind you. Not too far, but it was a little awkward at first.
  • They included quiet a few extra pad eyes for lashing things to the boat. I could see myself adding a few more. Mainly for thigh straps and for an anchor trolley.
  • As I'm on the heavier side and close to the max weight limit, the suppers didn't do as they should. Instead of helping the boat being self bailing, they tended to bubble up a little. Looks like I'll need to plug them until I lose some more weight.
  • There is plenty of storage with a large well in the rear and a watertight hatch in the bow. The hatch in the bow opens up the entire hull of the boat where you can put your fishing rods and tent poles fully in the boat.
  • Behind the seat is a raised, flat area where my watertight box sat nicely. However, I could see myself installing a 6″ day hatch/dry bag there.
  • There are grab handles on each side, at the bow and on the stern.
I'm really pleased with it, especially at the price I paid for it.