Submitted: 07-20-2013 by PJM

We've owned the Haida for about 18 years. It is the heavy fibreglass model with nylon gunnels and woven gut (?) seats. We've raised two daughters and two standard poodles in this boat and tripped for weeks at a time in her. We camp heavy (comfortable) and load her to the gunnels.

Out of three boats we own, this is the one we love to death. I've carried her on my back for dozens of kilometres of portages in this time and will again next week. I'm thinking of installing a yoke this year as wrapping a towel around the thwart is getting old on my aging shoulders.

I also own a Nova Craft 'Bob' but I will always choose this one even for solo paddling. It is the most stable boat imaginable and very fast. I don't white-water by choice (but have by accident) so doubt this would be the right choice for that. I just wax it before the season, scrub the inside of spiders and she's good to go. Hope this helps you choose.