Submitted: 07-20-2013 by Gary Clarke

My first experiment with Kayaks has been the SOT Wilderness Systems "Tarpon 100". This kayak has a 10 foot length and a 30.5 inch width. At 55 lbs it's little heavy for one person to carry without a cart. It is recommended for flat water, bays, lakes, ponds and surf. I have used it for all the above with addition of the Truckee river, and The American river. Those are light class I and II rivers.

My experience has been positive, and I would recommend this this kayak for beginners and intermediate riders. The flip-up "hard" seat is very comfortable; even on long trips. There are two storage compartments, one small for wallets, glasses and personal items. And a large compartment to store gear/ lunch, extra clothing etc. Bow and stern, and side handles make this kayak easy to move and transport.

Overall I would recommend this kayak. Although it's list price is at $699.00 You can usually find it around $550/599 at the end of season.