Submitted: 07-19-2013 by edzep
These are the foot braces that come in many Wilderness Systems and Dagger sea kayaks, and probably other Confluence boats, as well. These are my favorite foot braces, of brands to include Keepers, Werner and Sea-Dogs. They allow a bit of outward angle to the foot, as if viewed from above. The adjustability is good. These braces could be improved, however. Sometimes I wish the surface area of the pedals was larger -- my feet feeling a pressure point through thin bootie soles. Also, the little pressure lock intended to keep the braces from accidentally coming out of adjustment... tend to wear out or break. The solution to this has been to get 3-inch lengths of vinyl tubing of about 1/2 inch OD, and slip them into the mount nearest the cockpit, to jam the adjustment rod in the locked position. This works very well, and works even if the original locks are still functional. Unfortunately, it does make the braces less convenient to adjust. But, I don't tend to adjust foot braces, unless someone else uses my boat.