Submitted: 07-17-2013 by rtnospam
I've owned half a dozen inflatable kayaks and 3 hard shell kayaks over the years. The Sawtooth I is up there as one of my favorites. It's easy to inflate with a foot pump (~10 minutes); I like that I don't have to inflate the seats and can just use the comfortable Aire Cheetah Chairs (I bought an extra one). Two people can use the Sawtooth I despite the "I". It has dozens of loops on the floor to tied down seats or gear.

The speed feels close to the Innova Sunny, I can't tell which is faster. I sold my Innova Sunny so I could buy the Sawtooth I. I wish they sold the Sawtooth in red or blue instead of yellow. I was worried the yellow would attract bugs, but have not had problems with that at all. So far it has stayed relatively clean; I applied some protectant before using it the first time.

I took two points off the rating due to the retention of water. Aire kayaks are quite durable due to their skinned approach (outside layer and an inside bladder). However, water finds its way into the boat and it takes a long time to drain it out. After I fold it up I put the bundle on its side to drain for a few minutes before putting it in my car on a tarp. Then at home I unfold it and take a towel to it again.

On rivers it handles well. In deeper water I always put the skeg on, and am pleased with how the Sawtooth tracks. It's a comfortable craft for paddling into the middle of the lake on a sunny day, leaning back, and relaxing. Love it!