Submitted: 07-17-2013 by Gary Clarke

After having hardshell SOT's which my wife could not carry anymore, and were troublesome to transport on the motor home, I decided to explore the world of inflatables. The Airhead ahtk-1 was very low cost, but surprising good quality. This is actually excellent for my wife, a little small for me at 6 ft, 210 lbs. Typical 3 air chambers with 'boston Valves' it inflates quickly and easily. Love the safety orange color.

This boat has 4 2" x 4" strakes on the bottom, but are not very helpful on open water. It waggles a lot while paddling, I'd give it a 4-5 score for tracking. I'd give it a 8 for design and construction. The literature says that this kayak is 9 ft 9 inches. when inflated to the correct pressure I measure it a about 9 ft 3 inches (maybe it will stretch in time).

Overall for my wifes recreation use I give it an 8. I might be tempted to run class I or II but nothing more severe. It's not a pool toy, but it is a conservative recreational kayak at best.