Submitted: 07-17-2013 by KF

Several weeks ago my wife and I purchased a pair of Jackson Ibis Kayaks. One was a 2011 model and the other a 2012. They are slightly different. The 2012 has a sliding cup holder that fits under the seat rails and is conveniently located but not deep enough to securely hold a drink from tipping over except in the calmest water. The 2012 also has vertical hull stiffeners located midship. Quality appears good. The fore and aft as well as height adjustable "Elite" seat is functional and comfortable. And, being able to remove the seat and use it as a camp seat is an excellent added bonus.

The day hatch should be located in front or rather than behind the paddler. We have a friend who just bought a new Old Town Dirigo 120 and we both like the dashboard layout on that model.

My wife and I have some canoe experience but are novice kayak paddlers. The Ibis is easy to get in and out of and at 29" wide is very stable. Thus far all of our paddling has been lake and slow creek work. Our nearby lake is not well protected and is susceptible to prevalent south winds which will commonly reach a steady 20+ miles per hour. The Ibis is very stable in choppy water and in fact this past Sunday my wife and two friends were caught across the lake in a squall that kicked up some very rough water. While her friends Old Town Dirigo seem to glide better in calm water she beat them back to their side of the lake by 200 yards with no drama and took on very little water.

Only paddling issue is that the Ibis weathervanes noticeably. It also tracks better into a headwind than a tailwind. The drybag on the back deck is handy and we are anxious to try them out on some overnight excursions.

While not a long distance touring rig it is a great platform to explore from We are very happy with them and would buy another.

Sealline: