Submitted: 07-17-2013 by staktup
I've had a pre-2009 model Pro 2 Tandem for 3 years now, which I purchased used for $500. Out of the 6 kayaks my wife and I own, this one gets the least amount of use. When we do use it, it is usually when we entertain guests and go out on the lake.

It is slightly narrower and lighter than some other popular paddle-tandems (e.g WS Tarpon 130T, Ocean Kayak Malibu 2). It came with 6 flushmount rod holders which is nice. What I like best is the spacious storage - three 8" hatches with cat bags, and a huge rectangular hatch which stores my 2 pfds, 2 paddles, fishing rods, gear, etc. and whatever else I choose to bring. Most other tandems can't match this boat's in-hull storage.

It tracks very well and has great primary stability. I have not tested it's secondary stability. I can stand easily and paddle or fish. When I hop off for a swim, I can get back on easy without fear of tipping (so far in calm conditions).

I give it a 9 only because I wish it had a larger stern tankwell to accommodate a small milk crate, and space to attach a rudder. I do think that the large hatch can store a marine 12 volt battery if I choose to hook up a trolling motor to it. I added a few pad eyes so that my seat backs could be hooked up for all 3 positions and added an anchor trolley. I had to buy 2 L scupper plugs, and 2 medium plugs (Ocean Kayak plugs).

The new versions come equipped with threaded inserts so that you can mount their trolling motor bracket (beware some states require you to register your electric-powered boat!). I cannot for the life of me, find the hull ID#, even after calling Malibu.
Great family boat!