Submitted: 07-08-2013 by Fredosaurus

Fantastic, but heavy (60 lbs).

I recently had a chance to try out a P&H Hammer for a brief time. It was highly maneuverable, yet performed well in a straight line with the skeg down. This seemed like the perfect boat for the rivers I paddle. Curiously, the P&H site didn't list the weight, but the dealer first told me it was under 50 pounds, then called the rep who said it might be in the 50-55 range.

Unfortunately, when I went to the dealer to pick it up, the weight was a over 60 pounds!! This was not the under 50 pounds that you can find on unofficial sites on the web nor the 50-55 range that the P&H rep quoted. This is not just manufacturing variation.

My kayaking injuries have all been out of the water, putting kayaks on cars, helping carry heavy kayaks/canoes, ... If my joints were 50 years younger, I'd get this boat, but 60 pounds is too much, especially considering that my 5' 2" wife has to take the other end.

How was it weighed? When looking at kayaks I take a good luggage scale that can be lifted with two hands and a strap (3.5 oz) to hold the boat.

This boat is made heavy for ocean surfing with rocks, so I can understand the weight. But it's bad business practice for the company to not give a weight on their web site yet allow misinformation to be freely passed on.

If this boat was available in a light version, I'd buy it immediately.