Submitted: 07-08-2013 by Bobby Slovak

I recently purchased by kayak from Academy Sports and Outdoors (Texas) for $300. I took it out on the San Jacinto river and Lake Conroe for the first time this week. Having only kayaked a couple of times, I was not sure how the Vapor 10 would handle the wind and wakes. I was pleasantly surprised as to the stability of the Vapor 10. It is going to take me a couple more trips to figure out the best places to store gear. I just leaned my spinning rod against my paddle as it sat in the paddle rests. With the long cockpit, it would be too far a reach to mount a rod holder up front.

Academy did not include an anchor and anchor rope when I purchased the kayak from them. Old Town told me that they should have, and the OT customer service representative was very helpful and sent me both items.

I would suggest that Old Town add small pulleys to both ends of the anchor trolley system. There is lots of drag on the rope as it goes through both eyelets. This makes it difficult to pull and will eventually cause abrasion to the anchor rope.

Overall, I am looking forward to many years of Texas kayaking!

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: