Submitted: 06-27-2013 by GeoffG

I've owned my Eddyline Equinox for about a year now and have been delighted with this neat "little" kayak. At fourteen feet long with a twenty-five inch beam, it combines the best features of a recreational kayak - comfort and stability - with the speed and performance of a sea kayak.

As a big fan of Eddyline kayaks - and I own five of them - I find the Equinox fits in a niche between the twelve foot Skylark and the sixteen foot Nighthawk. Like its little sister the Skylark, the Equinox has an ample cockpit and fine initial stability for fishing, photography, and less-than-experienced paddlers. Like its big brother the Nighthawk, the Equinox has a good turn of speed and tracks very well even without a skeg. With thigh braces, a fully adjustable seat, and bow and stern bulkheads and hatches, this hybrid is a "pocket battleship."

Recently my wife and I were paddling in some rather heavy chop, and she felt more comfortable in the Equinox than she would have in her Nighthawk (Although in a race next month she will paddle the longer kayak.) Last spring my buddy had little problem keeping up with my Nighthawk while in the Equinox. At a light forty-five pounds, the Equinox is easy to put on and take off the roof rack of my car. It has become my "kayak of choice" for most of my paddling adventures.

For racing and long crossings, the Nighthawk has the edge.
For expeditions the Phoenix (a sadly discontinued model) is preferable.
For shorter, "let's just get out for a paddle" trips in most conditions, the Equinox has become my first choice.