Submitted: 06-24-2013 by mikeknauf

I have to give this boat a 10 because that is what I gave my Swift Keewaydin 16, and I feel it is every bit as good or better than that boat. Mine is a Deluxe fiberglass layup weighing in at 65lbs. We bought it as a compliment to our Kevlar Fusion Swift - the Eagle should be a fair deal tougher and is noticeably stiffer.

The workmanship is excellent and the wood trim makes the boat look a treat. It is an extremely comfortable and sturdy craft as well. The generous radius on the ash gunnels feel nice when you push your knee against them or your hand brushes them with the paddle. This is in stark contrast to the harsh aluminum trim found on many lightweight canoes.

The Conk double contoured seats are excellent; extremely comfortable and properly placed. Every little detail adds up to be an amazing paddle. The hull shape is very similar to the Keewaydin and features the 'bubble' sides found on the Curtis Northstar, the current Swift Keewaydin, and the Eagle. The result is a boat with superb secondary stability and narrow paddling stations. It's no surprise both my boats have these - they make for a great hull.

The Eagle seems to have a bit of a magical quality about it though. It glides and tracks fantastically, yet turns very, very nicely. My only slight complaint is it's seaworthiness. For some reason, it seems the Keewaydin is a bit drier. We tested both back to back in some moderate waves and had more splash with the Eagle. It wasn't a major concern and a little water never hurt anyone.

Overall a fantastic tandem boat that anyone could paddle with ease.

Swift Canoe & Kayak: