Submitted: 06-17-2013 by kayakManiac

I just purchased a used Hobie Adventure Island. If you can imagine how small a Ford Fusion is, then believe that I was able to fit the Kayak and the mast on the roof racks and the amas, akas and everything else into the car with the back seats down and loading everything into the trunk. It took 20 mins to load another 20 mins to unload. Five minutes to assemble. I made a T-bar kayak loader to roll the kayak onto the racks with ease. I used a kayak cart to transport it to the beach.

Even with the weight of everything, I still managed fine by myself without problems. One thing to note is that there are alot of pieces involved, so don't forget anything.

Once in the water it is a whole new experience compared to just kayaking alone. I had a lot of fun sailing and tacking but you can do kayaking alone and its still fun. With the furling sail you can control how fast you want to go, even in high winds. The pedal power of the mirage drive makes it so simple. Even without the sails, the mirage drive can go fast against the wind. My pedal did break a chain, but had a paddle backup.

All and all it was such a fun experience. One day I plan to get a trailer and a truck or SUV with a hitch to get into the water faster. I find the Hobie Adventure Island the ultimate kayak for me.