Submitted: 06-12-2013 by KFB

My wife and I just got into kayaking. We are in our early 60's and want to do this for a long time, so boat weight was important to us. There are not too many options out there for boats lighter than typical poly, but still relatively affordable. When we tried a few out the Pungo Ultralight was at the bottom of our list, but as soon as we tried one we realized what a great boat it is.

There are obviously compromises made in a 12' rec kayak, but I really think that Wilderness Systems has produced a very good design here - as also evidenced by the Pungo's popularity and longevity.

Anyway, to our surprise (as I'm 6'0" and she is 5'0") we both came home with two identical Pungo 120s. They are quite easy to lift on top of our SUV, track well in the water, maneuver well and are responsive and relatively quick for a smallish boat.

So far we've only been out in them a few times, but we are looking forward to a new hobby that we can hopefully do well into our 70's.