Submitted: 10-18-2000 by JJR

I received a Delta as a birthday gift 2 weeks ago. It is a nice alternative to my 20 year old Grumman 13' canoe. I took it to a local beach for a roll over test and was impressed how far you had to go to get it to flip. I took it duck hunting twice so far and after some logistical problems I really liked it. Where does one store a dozen decoys in a12 foot kayak? Why on top of course. There is plenty of room to store extra stuff including an extra paddle. The boat is very stable. I do get wetter than when canoeing, probably because I know little about paddling technique. I bought a 7.5 foot Otter kayak paddle that completes the rig. The screws for the Harmony paddle clips are a bit long and I have to reinstall them after trimming them a bit. They damaged my waders. The clips are a great addition. When decoys, coffee, cigar (or ocassionally your gun) is in hand the paddle is easily stored out of the way yet right there when you need it.

That is another thing, there is plenty of room for cold weather paddlers. We wear a lot of stuff when waterfowling and one's butt is appreciably larger than the summer butt. I'll see how the Delta acts with ice later this Fall 2000. Early December in upstate New York is always a good test for you and your boat. My only beef with the boat is with the seat, The single friction strap tends to loosen up as I paddle. I now stick a block of semi hard foam between the seat and the cowling of the boat. That helps me reach the posture I like.

I have the Delta with the camo color molded in and I have to say it is stealthy. The birds do not see you it must be due to the low freeboard and given the molded color. Over all I like the Delta alot. I think this is a fun addition to my fleet of two canoes. My wife likes paddling as well I gues I'll be buying a red one in the spring.