Submitted: 06-04-2013 by Bill

I purchased this boat 5 or 6 years ago. I drove down to the rowing club in NY to try the boat and meet Grey. He was very knowledgeable and helpful and took the time to make sure I understood the boat and its characteristics.

This boat is light and fast with good secondary stability. The seat is great and the adjustable foot pedals work well too. It will feel tippy to a new comer but more experienced kayakers will appreciate the ability to lean into the turns securely. I have used this boat often and very hard over the past several years and I'm very satisfied with the purchase. The boat looks and performs great and is half the price of anything comparable.

A few negatives: The hatch covers are threaded and they are very difficult to screw on without cross threading. Two more negatives are due mainly to the way I used the boat rather than to design or build issues. I enjoy kayaking in small streams and rivers and swampy areas around northwest CT and in NY State. Where I kayak I often hit submerged logs and have to go over beaver dams etc. The skeg got destroyed. I ended up removing and glassing over the skeg. This makes the boat much more maneuverable at the expense of some tracking loss. For me I prefer the boat with the skeg removed. It still tracks well enough when out in the open water and the increased maneuverability is a major plus. The second issue has to do with some spacers that are attached to the underside of the seat. The seat is hung from the top of the cockpit and when I go over a beaver dam the hull flexes up towards the seat. These 2 spacers would contact the hull and after a few years they actually pushed holes into the hull. I cut the spacers off, re-glassed the hull and placed a flexible foam pad under the seat. I would recommend these steps to anyone who will use the boat in a similar fashion.