Submitted: 05-31-2013 by TH

I just purchased the Tarpon 14 after being a user of a WS Tsunami 145. I purchased the tarpon for fishing and am not disappointed, however I think I could have found a suitable alternative if I was just searching for a fishing kayak or just a touring kayak. The Tarpon 14 does both functions very well but isn't great at either.

As for quality and design the Tarpon fell short. Upon pickup I found 1/3 of the screws were not tight and I'm not talking 1/4 turn, most were half way out. The front hatch is a useless design, the hatch is in a depression which catches water and when you open the cover the water has only one place to go.... IN! The water on top of the cover runs down the back side and directly into the opening. The Tsunami has a 1-2inch lip that even with the rubber cover off any water trapped in the depression of the hatch doesn't go into the opening. The back side of the smaller hatch is sharp and I sliced my finger on it. A file took it down to a safe point but manufacturing details such as these are important to me as a consumer.