Submitted: 05-29-2013 by SE_Paddler

First off I am 6'1" and 240#s with an athletic build. I bought this boat to fill two very different needs. First, I wanted something I could paddle around in and fish or take photos without any concern of flipping. Second, I started racing canoes and kayaks on lakes and rivers. This is not going to compete with any ICF boats or sea kayaks, but the boat will hold its own in most recreational classes.

I can comfortably paddle this boat 4.5 MPH for an extended period of time and can hold 5 MPH for over an hour on flat water, with a sprinting speed topping out just over 6 MPH. The only other boat I can compare it to is a 10' WS Tarpon 100, which I could comfortably paddle between 3.5 to 4 mph but not over 4 for long.

For my needs, I need a faster boat as I found I enjoy racing. However, I will keep this one for leisure paddles because it is comfortable, very stable, and despite some reviews, relatively dry despite my weight. On a calm day, I will not take on any water.

One thing about this boat is that is handles more like a touring boat and is not nimble at all so don't think it will handle tight turns down whitewater unless you are an advanced paddler.
All in all a great boat.