Submitted: 05-24-2013 by Rob

I wanted to wait a little while and thoroughly try out my new 2013 Whistler before commenting. I think after paddling about 50 miles during the past month I'm ready to comment. There are both pros and cons to this boat.

It has great secondary stability. I can tip it on edge while power paddling and I don't feel like I'm going to roll. The thigh braces make it so easy to edge too. The keyhole cockpit is large and did much to alleviate my claustrophobia. The seat is comfortable but hard to adjust while sitting, and the seat tilt function is kind of weak. It doesn't hold position well. It is NOT easy to scratch an itch on your posterior while sitting in the cockpit! The boat simply looks nnnniiiiiccccceeeee. It's sleek and can be paddled on placid flat-water at speeds in excess of 5knots. I bought the boat without the rudder so that I could concentrate on my paddling technique. In this configuration you really do need good technique to stay on course and paddle efficiently in even the slightest breeze or current. The boat glides well once up to speed but doesn't track well.

I bought the boat for weekend touring on flat water and larger slow moving rivers, as well as exploring wetlands. I think it excels in that capacity. It does not turn quickly in small quick streams. I would not recommend it for smaller or faster water.

At approximately 57 pounds dry weight and with an advertised capacity of 400 pounds it's just want I wanted. I can easily transport it on the bed cap of my pickup and it will hold enough shtuff for me to be on the water all day or a couple of nights of shoreline camping.