Submitted: 05-23-2013 by tmornstar
I recently purchased a used Hurricane Category 5. Similarly to a previous reviewer, I have had more than 30 years of paddling experience in a wide variety of kayaks. I paddle just about every day as a part of my fitness routine and this boat fits the bill perfectly. The boat is a dream to paddle enough to get me out on the water when I need a little push.

The Category 5 carves turns like a sports car hugs a rural road curve. The boat is very fast as noted by other reviewers. At an hour-long workout pace, the boat easily holds a 5.5 mph to 6.0 pace. One reviewer noted that there is no deck rigging on the fore deck. I found this as a good thing as we all have our own personal ideas as what works best. I easily added the decking on my boat and outfitted the boat to accommodate my model GPS and water bottle, map, etc. The previously noted sounds from the bow-wake come from the slight-sloping bow to increase the waterline of the boat. I have found that the bow's slight-sloping bow may snag and wrap leaves or grass more easily than a more exaggerated bow. This is such a minor issue, in my opinion, but noted here only in response to a previous reviewer.

In short, double thumbs-up on the Hurricane Category 5.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: