Submitted: 10-17-2000 by CEG

I paddled a 2000 model plastic Eclipse today for two hours covering around 8 to 10 miles. I started in a bay environment before moving to the Gulf of Mexico and back into the bay with a 5-knot breeze coming from the northeast. The eclipse felt very stable, it was not too tippy. However, overall Ii did not like the boat. it tracked poorly even in the calm conditions I experienced today. with the rudder deployed it tracked fine. But I'm no lover of rudders and the boat felt very sluggish when the rudder was down. It also had a strong tendancy to turn broadside to the wind. I often had to lean and paddle three strokes to one side one stroke to the other just to keep it on a straight line without using the rudder. Also, the foot peddles felt unstable even when the rudder was up. The construction seems good enough and the deck fittings seemed secure. the seat was ok but the cockpit seemed quite confining especially for the specs. The rear hatch was huge and the straps across the hatch cover were handy. it seemed to weigh right around the 65 pound neighborhood. lots of things about the boat I liked but the performance was lacking. It was fairly fast but I'd prefer a Dagger Magellon.

Thunder Bay Tourism: