Submitted: 05-10-2013 by Mattias

My first kayak I purchased used 2 years ago is the Grand Slam Angler and still paddle today. When getting into kayak fishing researching for a suitable kayak for bay fishing, this one checked everything off on the list. This kayak tracks very well, no need for a rudder but I'm sure one wouldn't hurt. It's a dry ride; I'm 6' 180# and sit high and dry loaded with live shrimp and fishing gear. This boat is also stable enough for me to cast only on calm days, not so much on windy days.

Now the only reason why I gave it 9/10 is because of the hatches. I have a '09 model so it has the large rectangle hatch in the center which will leak, only if water gets in the boat. The bow hatch could be bigger and better sealed as well. The other thing I'm concerned with is the hull, I'd recommend using closed cell foam to add extra support around the scuppers as I'm concerned that they may crack by transporting or going out beyond the breakers.

As far as going through breakers, this boat is not designed for that, clearly, but still very fun, I've taken this through 5' swells, very wet, lots of water in the hull due to the fact that the 2 scuppers could not drain water fast enough as I continued going through waves.

All in all, fantastic boat, would buy again for bay fishing.