Submitted: 05-08-2013 by castaways01

I have 5 of the Perception/P-Sport kayaks for family and guests to use. However, about 2 years ago I bought the Search for myself. I previously used a Hobie Maui and found the Search to be much more stable (30" wide) and have more gear storage.

It's heavy and long (13' and 60 lbs) so if you had to lift it onto a vehicle, you may need 2 people. I keep it on my dock and slide it into the water and then pull it out when finished by myself, so transport wasn't a concern when buying it.

What I like about the Search is the Comfort Seating System, deep well in the back with bungees, side storage pockets, paddle holder bungee, and the molded cup holder. I've taken the deep well bungee off and carried a child back there and the yak was still stable. I've also had my large Shepherd aboard and there were no issues. I've never used the hatch - its way too far to reach and awkward. The hatch placement is the only reason I haven't given this yak a score of 10.

I mainly use the Search for snorkeling and cruising up and down the south coast on the island of Roatan, where I live. I'd highly recommend it.