Submitted: 05-01-2013 by creativepaddler
I own a fiberglass/Kevlar Looksha IV that I custom outfitted to increase it's performance on longer trips and crossings. It's an easy boat to fall in love with, which is probably why they've made them for so many years. I've found them by the dozen in Glacier Bay, AK because it's a favorite with outfitters and guides. I outfitted mine with Nimbus aluminum rudder axis pedals controlling a Feathercraft rudder with a pulley assisted (effortless!) rudder-deployment/retracting system. It's truly a great boat for everything from day paddles to multi-week camping. I've done 8-mile crossings without fatigue and at 5'7" 140lbs, I'm definitely not a big muscled guy.
Actually, I'm looking for a used plastic or glass Looksha for my 5'2" 115# sister. She tried mine and loved it as it's so adjustable.

What I love most about my Looksha is how easily it carves a turn in any seas, takes crosswinds, following seas and provides great initial and secondary stability. Tracks nicely and cuts through heavy kelp with ease because it has a knife-edge bow. I've paddled it fully-loaded in 5' seas and 30kt winds, yet love it as well for calm after-work jaunts in the Seattle Ship canal. It's easy to handle off the water too, with great carry balance.

Care about dry hatches? These beat any I've tried including the harder-to-seal rubber ones found on most boats. They are neoprene under fiberglass with great pressure straps. The front hatch cover doubles as my prep tray at camp because I added into the lid a piece of flexible cutting sheet.