Submitted: 04-28-2013 by tigger

First of all big respect to paddling.net for hosting these reviews. Whilst it has been commented that posters here are generally 'for' their boats and are more likely to submit positive comment because of that I still feel that this site represents honest opinions. Given that I'll move onto the Tahe Greenland T (Tour, GT).

I am a 175cm 95kg male who has paddled the T for three years, alongside a semi carbon standard Greenland, a Tahe Reval, and an S&G angmagssalik as well as several other popular sea kayaks. What strikes me most about the Greenland T is the fun factor combined with my ability to tour in the boat. I have toured/camped from the boat for in excess of a week, restocking water and supplies en route very successfully, with a good average touring speed (4knts). I have giggled through 15ft swell in bF7, albeit without much prospect of making forward distance into the wind, surfed the self same swells home with perfect control.

The boat rolls like a dream and really is the preferred option over the stock Tahe Greenland if you are 85+kg; seriously. The construction is very good for the weight (mine has a kevlar layer) and is tough enough for heavy surf and the odd rock conflict. The gelcoat seems 'soft' compared to others and whilst it is easy with trad. design boats to confuse speed with stealth the Greenland T offers decent speed and excellent maneuverability when heeled and driven through the water properly (ie; edging and appropriate strokes). Low decks make for a wet boat and the large touring type hatches and large cockpit do allow for some water ingress (I use a Reed deck) but for me this is an acceptable pay off for what is in essence a coastal boat as opposed to a big crosser. Having said that I have made 5 mile crossings without any worry.

Altogether a good all rounder; surf, tour, big seas, for a 200lb paddler looing for f,f,f,fun!