Submitted: 04-24-2013 by Belkin

Great inexpensive beginner kayak. I had canoed a lot, but had never tried a kayak. I wanted to try one, but instead, I just went out and bought the Kiwi Lobo for $299 plus $40 for the paddle at a local hardware store. That was 15 years ago. I wanted a sit inside with a large opening for getting in and out of (I feared getting trapped after flipping.

I found that the Lobo is very stable. The only time I dumped it was when I tried. Even in that case, it just slowly filled up with water once the side went under. Even up in NH, I use it 12 months of the year (I go clamming in the winter months). I found that I like kayaking much better than the canoe. Weighing only 35 pounds it is easy to sling it over your shoulders and carry it around. Also, since it is very short and stubby it fits well in my minivan (Dodge Grand Caravan).

The only two drawbacks that I have found is that the seat can get uncomfortable after a while and that it does not track well once you stop paddling. I have no trouble keeping it going straight, but friends who have tried it have been all over the place. I am thinking of replacing the seat, because I plan on using it for many years to come.