Submitted: 04-23-2013 by HillyPaddler
I have owned a P&H Glass Fiber Cetus HV for three years and still enjoy it immensely. At 82kilos I'm at the light end of its paddler range but carrying gear makes little difference to its character.

Why did I choose the Cetus? I did try a number of kayaks. Although a full sized expedition boat it turns easily, edges well, surfs even small waves well and gives no nasty surprises (except perhaps if I have an off day and lose concentration). It is a boat that lets you off when you fail. This means it is a kayak that you can be confident to grow your skills in. It is heavy, as others have said, it is a little slower in light water. But when it counts, in a good swell and choppy conditions it really turns on the thrills. When others are slowing and practicing bracing skills the Cetus gets faster and feels safer at any angle or condition. It is then you can really feel the thrills. I don't find it broaches easily as others have said.

It is a true ocean kayak and will let you make your own choices where you go and how you get there and will not turn on you when it gets rough out there. You will be the rescuer not the rescuee! Unless you push the limits.

To compare: I have recently paddled my wife's Cetus LV (she finally let me have a day out in it) and I now can't wait to try it in the surf. It is quite a different boat for me at least. I still prefer my HV to eat up the miles in rough seas. Do try one if you are looking.