Submitted: 04-14-2013 by davidmichael
I just tried out three of the Hobie kayaks... Outback, Rev 11, and 13. Here are my observations: The Outback is slow, sluggush, heavy, and a great fishing platform. Kind of like trying to paddle or peddle a tank in water. If someone doesn't mind lots of resistance, this is a great boat for the angler since it has lots of deck room for fishing stuff, and stability for open water.

My personal favorite, however, was easily the Rev 11. Maybe because I have other kayaks for paddling and exploring. However, I really want a kayak for fishing. Thus, the need for the peddles and Mirage system. This kayak turns on a dime yet is very stable, great for peddling as well as paddling. And, especially for car topping. At 57 pounds, it was 20 pounds lighter than the Outback. Thus, a no brainer for my Thule Rack on top of our CRV Honda.

I didn't feel the Rev 13 added that much difference. Longer by a few inches but felt the Rev 11 had everything I needed. I plan to buy the Hobie Rev 11 this summer and replace my Old Town Pack canoe. The Mirage peddle system sold me on the advantages for a great fishing system.