Submitted: 04-08-2013 by A

This review is for anyone interested in knowing how a Splash Two compares to other similar kayaks. First let me say that I own both a splash 1 and splash 2 and am very happy with both. Second let me say that you should not try to compare the Splash 2 to a touring or white water kayak. They are not in the same category. Third let me say that you should not compare a sit in to a sit on top; if you are looking at the Crescent Splash 2, I presume you are considering sit on tops. I also would like to say that this is not my first kayak and I have paddled very nice touring kayaks as well as recreational sit ins – No white water though.

OK so what I like. The price, considerably cheaper than other kayaks. Kayaks I considered: Liquid logic deuce coupe, Wilderness Tarpon 130T, Hobie odyssey and Kona and cobra double. What brought the splash 2 to the top, did I say price…oh yes! We wanted a kayak that could be paddled solo and also would fit three. The Splash is very comfortable for two adults and one child in the middle and extremely comfortable for two adults. It tracks well and for the type of kayak it moves along the water smoothly and fast (once again, do not compare to a touring kayak.) It handles the waves really well and it is fun. This kayak is also supper stable. At 34 inches wide it is very hard to tip it.

What I also like is that you can stand in it and paddle it like a stand up board or just get a better view around. Notice that if you stand up on it don’t let your kids rock the boat…you will land in the water but the boat will not tip. It has really well defined seating wells but you must get the seats for a really comfortable ride.

The other thing we like about the Splash 2 is how well designed the middle seat is. Most other kayaks just had a (rear end checks) holder with no defined back rest. Solo paddling is great. Compared to others this kayak has a good amount of storage and we had the factory put a second hatch in the front for additional storage. It works well.

The bad: It is heavy. At 70 pounds and 12 feet long it can be awkward to handle especially for one person. If you are using it in flat water I highly advise scupper plugs. We put it in the water without the plugs and three people and we had water come up and stay there. Unless you exceed 300 LBS solo paddling should be OK without the plugs.I weigh less than 150, solo paddling form me is fine without plugs. Any how I still recommend the plugs. Scupper plugs give you better buoyancy and keep you dry. If you are using in the ocean or class one or two rivers take the plugs out…you want the drainage and besides you are going to get wet anyways. The kayak is made of very good plastic and definitely competes with all the brand name kayaks out there.

Bottom line: I like it and if one thing I could change is that it would be a little lighter. Otherwise it is a fun boat for relaxing, exercising, taking the kids out, and more. I would even do a weekend camping trip in it. Are there other kayaks I would have preferred? Sure, but once again price and features made this our choice. Hope this helps anyone looking at the Crescents.

Vasa, Inc.: